Printers Row, Chicago’s literary festival, is taking place June 4-5, on Dearborn Street south of Congress. New books, used books, writers reading, readers writing–it’s all there! We Mystery Writers always have a tent, and this year on June 4, from four to five p.m., we’re having a Flash Fiction contest.
Write a story that you can read in 5 minutes. Choose one of the following opening sentences:
1) He wasn’t going to make it.
2) It was the smell that got to her.
3) Digging a hole six-feet deep was harder than he thought.
4) He’d have done it different if he’d known how much weight she’d gained.
5) They say a goldfish will eat anything.
Take it from there to anywhere. Barb D’Amato and I will be judging. Points will be awarded for everything from suspense to humor to coherence, and prizes will be awarded with a lavish hand. The only goal is to have fun!